State Historical Society of Iowa Mission & Vision
State Historical Society of Iowa Vision
To help Iowans comprehend who they are and what they can become, the State Historical Society of Iowa serves as a trustee of Iowa’s historical legacy and an advocate for understanding Iowa’s past.
State Historical Society of Iowa Mission
The State Historical Society of Iowa has a dual mission of preservation and education.
- As a trustee of Iowa’s historical legacy, SHSI identifies, records, collects, preserves, manages, and provides access to Iowa’s historical resources.
- As an advocate of understanding Iowa’s past, SHSI educates Iowans of all ages, conducts and stimulates research, disseminates information, and encourages and supports historical preservation and education efforts of others throughout the state.
State Historical Society of Iowa Purpose
We connect generation to generation – past, present and future
State Historical Society of Iowa Goals
Goal 1. Connect Iowans with their heritage – where they want it, when they want it and how they want it.
- Strategy 1.a. Re-design the State Historical Society of Iowa’s web site: www.iowahistory.org
- Strategy 1.b. Provide on-line access to State Historical Society of Iowa resources, programs and service.
Goal 2. Enable Iowans of all ages and in all locations to learn the relevance and importance of Iowa’s history.
- Strategy 2.a. Develop exciting, innovative, interactive exhibitions to be offered at the State Historical Building, State Historic Sites and through traveling exhibits.
- Strategy 2.b. Provide educational programming and publications to augment State Historical Society of Iowa museum exhibitions and to correlate to State Historical Society of Iowa collections.
Goal 3. Maintain all SHSI collections in professionally appropriate conditions
- Strategy 3.a. Increase the ability and capacity to store historical collections held in trust for the public.
- Strategy 3.b. Enhance staff capabilities for care of collections through professional staff development opportunities.
- Strategy 3.c. Expand provision of technical assistance to colleagues throughout the state.
- Strategy 3.d. Continue to develop State Historical Society of Iowa collections to assure thorough documentation of Iowa’s historical resources.
- Number of days required to provide initial determination and response to constituents applying for historic tax credits.
- Number of people benefiting from educational programming through museum education, museum theatre, special tours, historic site programming, and various workshops and events
- Visitor numbers at Iowa Historical Museum, Historical Libraries, Historic Sites, and State Archives
- Level of return on the state’s investment of dollars into Historic Resource Development Project grants, Historic Sites Preservation grants, and Certified Local Government grants