How You Can Get Involved
National History Day in Iowa has a number of opportunities for adults who want to become more involved in the program.
Mentorships and Internships
Mentorships are available throughout the state. Internships for college credit are available at some universities. If you are interested in volunteering as a mentor/intern or if you would like to set up an internship opportunity for your university students, please contact the state office at email@example.com.
Volunteer and Judging Opportunities
Volunteer and judging opportunities are available at the district, state, and national levels. To find out how to serve at district or state events, contact the state office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Award Sponsorship
Organizations and institutions sponsor scholarships and special awards at each level of the program. Past special awards have included:
- Outstanding Historical Researcher Scholarship sponsored by St. Ambrose University
- $1000 Outstanding Young Historian Scholarship
- Camp Silos Award sponsored by the Silos & Smokestacks National Heritage Area
- Main Street Iowa Award sponsored by the Iowa Department of Economic Development
- Outstanding Women’s History Awards sponsored by the Iowa Federation of Women’s Clubs and the Iowa Women's Archives
- Outstanding African American History Awards sponsored by the African American Historical Museum and Cultural Center of Iowa
- American Spirit Award sponsored by the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
- "Archaeology is Awesome" Award sponsored by the Association of Iowa Archaeologists
- History of the American West sponsored by the Western Historic Trail Center
- Country Schoolhouse Award sponsored by the Polk County Historical Society
- Leroy Pratt Award for Local History sponsored by the Polk County Historical Society
- Outstanding Entry Related to Women in Science and Engineering sponsored by the Program for Women in Science and Engineering at Iowa State University
- Outstanding Documentary on Iowa History sponsored by IPTV
- Outstanding Entry in Agricultural History sponsored by Living History Farms
- Charlene Weaver Social Justice Award sponsored by Buena Vista University’s History Department
- "Kids Count!" Award for Excellence in Service to Youth Researchers sponsored by the State Historical Society, Inc.
- Outstanding School Awards sponsored by State Historical Society, Inc.
- Best of Iowa Awards sponsored by State Historical Society, Inc.
- Outstanding Teacher Awards sponsored by State Historical Society, Inc.
If your institution is interested in sponsoring a special award at the district or state level, please contact Katie Craven at email@example.com.