Journey back to a blacksmith shop opened in 1883 by German immigrant Matthew Edel
Journey into the past to a uniquely preserved blacksmith shop exactly as German immigrant Matthew Edel left it the day he died. Edel, a skilled blacksmith and inventor, operated the shop until his death in 1940. See his tools and wares and hear stories about blacksmithing during the age before tractors and automobiles. The State Historical Society of Iowa owns and preserves the Mattew Edel Blacksmith Shop and House. They are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Named for its German-immigrant owner, the shop opened in 1883. Besides repairing implements and shoeing horses, Edel created and patented some of the tools he used. The shop remains in the order and condition that Edel maintained before his death in 1940. Thus, visitors get a glimpse into the life and times of an early 20th-century Iowa artisan.
214 1st St.
Haverhill, IA 50120
(641) 752-6664 (Historical Society of Marshall County)
Memorial Day - Labor Day
Daily: Noon - 4:00 p.m.
School groups by appointment
Historical Society of Marshall County
202 East Church Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158