Historic Sites > Plum Grove Historic Site

Site History

questers

Members representing Robert Lucas Chapter #314 are pictured in the 1850 -period restored Lucas home, Plum Grove in Iowa City. The chapter donated funds in memoriam for Chapter members Esther Wilkinson and Marylin Smith to be used for the reframing of three photos of the home of Robert Lucas, who was the first territorial governor of Iowa. The photos which are used for interpretive purposes represent different periods in the history of the home."

The home of Iowa's first territorial governor, Robert Lucas, is a small, two-story, red-brick home situated on four quiet, wooded acres. Lucas and his wife, Friendly, lived in the house from 1844 to 1853. Plum Grove has seven main rooms; four downstairs and three upstairs, plus an attached one-story kitchen. The home, with its modest furnishings, has been restored to appear as it would have when the Lucases lived there. 

In 1978, archaeological excavations at the Plum Grove Historic Farm site (located in Iowa City, Iowa) uncovered an extensive bone bed.
This excellent PowerPoint presents details of that work:

plum grove archaeology A Reevaluation of Early Commercial Food Production in Eastern Iowa

Privy Findings: Glass from the Septic System of the Plum Grove Historic Site

 

©2013 The State of Iowa, All Rights Reserved | Policies | Accessibility | Non-discrimination and Accommodation | Website Feedback