The following National Register nomination examples include properties that have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places for local significance. Due to the age of some nominations, these examples may not include all current requirements for National Register nominations. Be sure to reference current documentation guidelines. For additional examples, please contact the National Register Coordinator, Elizabeth Foster Hill at 515.281.4137 or Beth.Foster@iowa.gov.
The Daniel McConn Barn, constructed in 1857, was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C for its architectural significance as a well-preserved banked/basement, double-decker, Pennsylvania-type barn.
The Coal Ridge Baptist Church and Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. It is significant under Criterion A for its association with the social history of Coal Ridge and Coalport, and under Criterion C as a good example of the blending of Neo-classical and late Gothic Revival architectural influences. This nomination illustrates how to meet Criteria Consideration A for religious properties and Criteria Consideration D for cemeteries.
Commercial Building Example
The Maquoketa Company—Clinton Machine Company Administration Building is individually listed on the National Register under Criterion A as a tangible link to Clinton Machine Company, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of small engines and one of Iowa’s largest employers of the 1950s. It is also significant under Criterion C as an important local example of the Art Moderne style, designed and built by C.A. Depue, the president of the Maquoketa Company.
The Englert Theatre is locally significant under Criterion A as a cultural landmark and downtown amusement venue known to generations of Iowa City residents and University of Iowa students. It is also significant as a combination performance and movie theater under Criterion C as the last intact example of this property type in lowa City.
Farm District Example
The John and Mary Jane Kyte Farmstead District is significant under National Register Criterion C for its architectural significance as a well-preserved early settlement era farmstead. The house and barn date from the 1850s and 1860s and the period of significance extends to 1901, which represents the period John Kyte owned the farmstead.
The Charles Henry and Charlotte Norton House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C as a distinguished design combining the Italian Villa and Gothic Revival styles. There is no comparable example of this combination to such a degree in the Avoca area.
The Bandshell Park Historic District in Ames includes both the bandshell and the park in which it was built. It was listed on the National Register under Criterion A as a municipal park improved in the 1930s to serve as a music facility, and under Criterion C for its architectural significance.
For information on evaluating and nominating your historic school, please visit our Historic Schools web pages.